The County Attorney's Office represents the Monroe County Commission and its staff in all civil and administrative matters relating to the discharge of their official duties.
The County Attorney & 8 Assistant County Attorneys:
- Approve all contracts, bonds, and written instruments for legal sufficiency
- Draft and review ordinances and resolutions
- Prosecute and defend all lawsuits brought by and against the county
- Render legal opinions upon request to the Board of County Commissioners, the County’s five Constitutional Officers, the County Administrator and staff, and County Advisory Boards
- Represent the County at administrative hearings
- Represent the County Canvassing Board during federal, state, and countywide elections
- Prepare and distribute all BOCC Agendas
- Review of all BOCC approved agenda items
- Research and provide prompt responses to public records requests
- Serves as the County’s Records Management Liaison Officer for the County
The County Attorney's Office is prohibited from providing legal advice to members of the community or otherwise representing private clients.
The County’s Risk Management functions are administered by the County Attorney’s Office. Team members work together to manage, assess, and defend liability and tort claims made against the County. The team analyzes sources of potential liability and works to eliminate and/or reduce the County’s exposure to claims. The team monitors insurance carrier counsel’s defense of such claims and manages the associated costs. Risk staff reviews every contract to ensure the County has proper insurance coverage in its agreements and for its projects. The team also works with members of the public to assist in resolving legitimate accident claims involving County property, operations or employees..
The mission of the County Attorney's Office is toprovide high quality legal services to the Board of County Commissioners,Monroe County's Constitutional Officers, and the County Administration in atimely, efficient, and cost-effective manner. With its staff of nine highlytrained and experienced attorneys and skilled support staff, the CountyAttorney's Office is committed to providing professional legal services in themost efficient and productive manner possible.