State Housing Initiatives Partnership Program (SHIP)
The State Housing Initiatives Partnership program (SHIP) provides funds to local governments as an incentive to create partnerships that produce and preserve affordable homeownership and multifamily housing. The program was designed to serve very low, low, and moderate-income families.
SHIP funds are distributed on an entitlement basis to all 67 counties and 52 Community Development Block Grant entitlement cities in Florida. The minimum allocation is $350,000.
In order to participate, local governments must establish a local housing assistance program by ordinance; develop a local housing assistance plan and housing incentive strategy; amend land development regulations or establish local policies to implement the incentive strategies; form partnerships and combine resources in order to reduce housing costs, and ensure that rent or mortgage payments within the targeted areas do not exceed 30 percent of the area median income limits unless authorized by the mortgage lender.
SHIP dollars may be used to fund emergency repairs, new construction, rehabilitation, down payment and closing cost assistance, impact fees, construction and gap financing, mortgage buy-downs, acquisition of property for affordable housing, matching dollars for federal housing grants, and programs, and homeownership counseling. SHIP funds may be used to assist units that meet the standards of chapter 553.
- Applications processed on a “First Qualified, First Served“ basis for both programs
- Only one SHIP assistance program can be used per household
- Contact Monroe County Social Services at 305-292-4408
SHIP Homeowner Disaster Funding
HOME REPAIRS AFTER IRMA
- Up to $35,000 per home available
- Secured by a recorded 10-year note and mortgage with 0% interest
- Outstanding balance is forgiven at the end of year 10
- Priority is given to applicants with Special Needs/Disabilities
Opens a New WSHIP Homebuyer’s Assistance Program
ASSISTANCE PURCHASING A HOME
- Up to $45,000 per home available
- Secured by a recorded 30-year note and mortgage with 0% interest
- Full amount due at maturity Opens a New Window.