Budget & Finance
The vision of the Budget and Finance Department is to be a fiscally responsible, customer-focused team that is striving for excellence at all times.
We are dedicated to sustainability by managing programs, services, and their related resources as efficiently and effectively as possible and communicating the results of these efforts to the public.
The mission of the Budget and Finance Department is to provide strategic planning and support to Monroe County's government, which will promote efficient management practices, sound financial budgeting, and competitive procurement countywide while maintaining the highest standards of ethics, integrity, and prudent expenditure of public funds.
Fiscal Year 2019 Budget Process
The Fiscal Year 2019 Proposed Budget
Monroe County's transmittal of the budget will be distributed to the County Commissioners at the July 18th BOCC meeting. The proposed budget is for FY2019 which runs October 1, 2018 through September 30, 2019:
- FY2019 Proposed Operating & Capital Budget
- FY2019 Capital Budget Summary
- FY2019 Proposed Elected Officials Budget
- FY2019 Proposed HSAB Budget Presentation
- FY2019 Departmental Business Plan
On May 23, 2018, the Monroe County Board of County Commissioners held its first Budget Meeting for Fiscal Year 2019. At this early stage of the process, the meeting was for preliminary discussion of the budget and no decisions were made.
County staff is working on a budget with a goal to maintain the same level of service and continue with planned capital projects and resiliency efforts while absorbing the impacts of Hurricane Irma.
The Fiscal Year 2019 Budget Calendar:
- June 1: Deadline for Budget Submission for Constitutional Officers
- July 1: Property Appraiser Certifies Property Values
- On or before July 10: Tentative Budget Delivered to BOCC
- July 31: Special Budget Meeting. The BOCC certifies the proposed millage rate to the property appraiser, which is the rate that goes out on the tax bill (TRIM).
- Sept. 4: First Public Budget Hearing. Adoption of the Tentative Millage Rate and Tentative Budget at the Murray Nelson Government Center in Key Largo.
- Sept. 6: Special Budget Meeting. BOCC holds discussion at Marathon Government Center.
- Sept. 10: Final Public Hearing. Adoption of the Final Millage Rate and Final Budget at the Harvey Government Center in Key West.
Fiscal Year 2018 Budget
Monroe County currently is in Fiscal Year 2018, which runs Oct. 1, 2017 through Sept. 30, 2018. Here is a summary of the budget adopted on Sept. 27, 2017:
Fiscal Year 2018 Budget Process
At the Monroe County BOCC meeting July 19, 2017 the Commissioners accepted the transmittal of the Fiscal Year 2018 Proposed Budget, in four parts. They are as follow.
- Monroe County Elected Officials, Department of Health, Land Authority and Medical Examiner Proposed FY18 Budget
- Human Services Advisory Board FY18 Recommendations
- FY 2018-2022 Proposed Capital Improvement Program
The Monroe County BOCC also approved transmittal of the 2018 Departmental Business Plan for the FY 2018 Budget.
The Monroe County BOCC also approved transmittal of the 2013-2018 Strategic Plan Residential & Business Community Input Survey Report.