Click to Home
Go To Search
Sewer Connection Assistance Information F.A.Q.


  • Is the assessment $5,700 or $4,500?
    • $4,500 – The BOCC decided in July 2012 that the assessment for all of the Cudjoe region would be $4,500
  • When can I pay?
    • Prepayment notices were mailed in June 2012 for the inner islands of Upper Sugarloaf, Cudjoe, and Summerland.  The prepayment period for the inner islands ended on 31 August 2012.
  • Where do I prepay my assessment?
    • Prepayments can be made by mail or in person to: Monroe County Wastewater Department; 1100 Simonton Street (Room 2-216); Key West, FL 33040.
  • Can I use a credit card to prepay the assessment?
    • No – only checks are accepted.
  •  What will be the annual assessment payment on my tax bill?
    • In the annual payment amount is set at $310.29, with a 2.4 % interest rate and an additional $69.00 administration fee which covers the cost of the database hosting the annual payment methodology. The amount may vary slightly year to year depending on actual costs of collection and interest.
  • If I want to payoff my assessment how will I know what I owe?
    • Please contact the Monroe County Wastewater department at 305-292-4426 or 292-4429.
  • Can I pay only part of my payoff now and the rest of it later?
    • Everyone has two options to pay the wastewater capacity fee, you may either pay the total outstanding balance that you owe before August 31st of each year, or you may make annual payments for 20 years.



  • How do I appeal the number of EDUs assigned to my property if I think it’s wrong?
    • Please complete a sewer appeal form Sewer Appeals Notice Form. Please include as much detail as you can to assist the reviewers.
  • If I missed the deadline for appeals in the letter, have I missed my chance to appeal?
    • No – The deadline in the initial letter was set to ensure the initial appeals could be processed before the tax rolls were certified for the inner islands.  Appeals can be filed at any time.
  • What will my monthly sewer bill be?
    • Rates are set by FKAA.  The current sewer rates in other FKAA operated systems are about $66/month for a typical single family residence.
  • How do I get financial assistance with connection costs?


Equivalent Dwelling Units (EDUs):

  • What is an EDU?
    • EDU is an acronym for Equivalent Dwelling Unit.  According to State Department of Health guidelines for sewer capacity an average single family residence uses 167 gal/day of water which reaches the sewer system.  The definition of an EDU is 167 gal/day of water consumption that reaches the sewer.  Water supply meter readings are used to determine the water flow to a property.
  • Some of the water that is measured through my meter is used for irrigation, boat washing, or other uses that do not reach the wastewater system.  Shouldn’t this result is a reduction of my EDU assignment?
    • For a residential property
      • The assignment is based on the number of dwelling units, not the flow.  If the water use of such a property for irrigation, etc. is high, you should consider a separate meter to avoid monthly usage charges.  Please contact the FKAA for more information about a separate meter.
    • For commercial properties
      • A meter may reduce the EDU assignment.  Once a separate meter is installed, the Wastewater Dept will review the EDU assignment after the separate meter has been installed for 12 months (to include all seasonal variations).
  • How was the EDU assignment for my property determined?
    • All residential properties were assigned one (1) EDU for each dwelling unit [e.g. a single family residence was one (1) EDU; a duplex was assigned two (2) EDUs, etc.]
    • Condominiums were assigned one EDU for each unit as required by State Statute [F.S. 718.120(1)]
    • Commercial property EDU assignments were based on the water flow into the property.  EDUs were calculated by comparing the water flow into the commercial property with the average flow into a single family residence (167 gal/day).  If a commercial property used twice as much water as a single family residence it was assigned two (2) EDUs; if it used ten (10) times as much water, it was assigned ten (10 EDUs), etc.
  • When will I have to connect?
    • Connections probably will be available in late 2014 in the inner island area and in 2015 in the outer islands area
  • Property owners will receive notices 1 year in advance of service availability with Cudjoe specific connection information.
  • What permits will I need to hook up to the new sewer lines?
    • For a home with a septic tank you will require two permits. One from Monroe County to install the new lateral out to the street, and one permit from the Department of Environmental Health for the decommissioning of the existing septic tank.
  • What do these permits cost?
    • Monroe County - $75 lateral connection, $150 electrical connection to existing panel; can be done as one permit($225 overall).
    • Department of Environmental Health - $90
  • What are my options for my old septic tank?
    • The old septic tank can either be pumped out and then crushed or filled, or
    • The septic tank can be pumped out and sterilized and used as a cistern(this is relatively easy but a little more costly).Either of these options will require a permit from the Florida Department of Health.
    • FDOH Facts about Abandonment of Septic Tank
  • How long are these permits active for?
    • Lateral connection does not expire
    • Others typically require inspection within a year to remain active
  • When will the sewers be coming down my street?
    • You will receive both a 1 year notice prior to connection in the street and a 30 day notice prior to available service.
  • When I get the 30 day connection notice what will happen if I am not connected?
    • Connection within the 30 day period is mandatory however not currently enforced by Monroe County or the State of Florida
    • State requires connection within 365 days of system availability.
  • What if I have an AWT system that I just recently installed, do I still need to hook up?
    • State statute requires properties to hook up to a central sewer system if it is available
  • How do I know which area I am in, low pressure, gravity, cold spot?
    • Please contact the FKAA regarding the zoning. Josh Peele 305-809-2636
  • If I have a grinder station in a low pressure area what will happen when the power goes out?
    • FKAA personnel will respond with a generator to pump out the holding tank, it is anticipated that each of the stations can retain a day’s worth of flow.
    • Duly note, most household appliances with the highest water usages will not function without power either (Washing machine, dish washer, etc.)
  • If I have a grinder station in a low pressure area do I need a separate permit to hook up to the electricity?
    • This can be added as part of the original Monroe County lateral connection permit. You have the option of including the electrical in the lateral connection permit, either together or separate the fees will remain the same.
  • If I have a grinder station in a low pressure area, how much extra power will the station use?
    • It is anticipated that the grinder pump stations will use on average the equivalent of a 100 watt light bulb running 24 hours a day( a few dollars a month) FKAA is planning to absorb that cost as a credit to users. Contact FKAA for more information.
  • Where will the grinder pump station be put in my yard?
    • The contractor and the Florida Keys Aqueduct Authority will be working with property owners in an effort to place the grinder pump station on each property.

        If you have any other questions regarding the Cudjoe Regional Sewer Project more information 
        can be found at the website (

Monroe County
1100 Simonton Street
Key West FL, 33040