Obtain Re-Entry Vehicle Windshield Stickers
Get your Re-entry Vehicle Windshield Stickers now. Do not wait until just before a storm.
The Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1. All residents of Monroe County who don’t already have a Re-entry Windshield Sticker need to obtain one for their vehicle. They do not expire. Do not wait until a storm is approaching.
These stickers will be needed in the event that checkpoints are required to assure safe re-entry into the Florida Keys following a destructive storm.
Residents will not be able to pass through re-entry checkpoints without a valid re-entry sticker. Those who don’t obtain them in advance will be delayed and detoured to a location outside the checkpoint to verify information and obtain a re-entry sticker before reentering the County.
Residents can obtain one sticker for each registered vehicle by providing proof of residency: Florida driver’s license, utility bill, rental agreement, tax bill, etc. The stickers are color-coded for possible zone-by-zone re-entry.
- Yellow for Upper Keys (County line, including Ocean Reef, to north end of Long Key Bridge) MM 113 to MM 64
- Blue for Middle Keys (south end of Long Key Bridge to north end of 7 Mile Bridge) MM 64 to MM 47
- Red for Lower Keys (south end of 7 Mile Bridge to Stock Island) MM 40 to MM 4
- White for City of Key West
If a storm devastates a particular area of the Florida Keys, the color-coded re-entry stickers will allow law enforcement to authorize people to return to relatively intact areas of the Florida Keys sooner than those who live in more damaged areas.
Several factors are considered in the re-entry process, including if emergency personnel, supplies and equipment have been brought in and set up, if rescue crews have had enough time to assist any trapped or injured people in the affected area and, most importantly, if it is safe for residents to re-enter a particular area.
Where to Get Re-entry Stickers
- Residents in Key West: Stickers are available at Key West City Hall, 1300 White St., or the Key West Police Department, 1604 North Roosevelt Blvd. The hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.
- Residents from Ocean Reef to Stock Island: Stickers are available at the Monroe County Sheriff’s substations or at the Department of Motor Vehicle/Driver License service centers listed below. Monroe County residents who are not currently in the County also can get them via mail, with details below. For residents who live in Ocean Reef, stickers also are available at Ocean Reef Public Safety, 110 Anchor Dr. in Key Largo.
Monroe County Sheriff's Office locations:
The Sheriff's stations are open 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Fridays for sticker pickup.
- Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Headquarters: 5525 College Road, Key West, FL 33040; 305-292-7000
- Freeman Substation, Lower Keys Area, District 1; 20950 Overseas Highway, Cudjoe Key, FL 33042; 305-745-3184
- Marathon Substation, Middle Keys Area, District's 4 and 5; 3103 Overseas Highway; Marathon, FL 33050; 305-289-2430
- Islamorada, District 6; 86800 Overseas Highway, First Floor; Islamorada, FL 33036; 305-664-6480
- Roth Building, Upper Keys, District 7; 50 High Point Road, Suite 100; Tavernier, FL 33070; 305-853-3211
Department of Motor Vehicle and/or Driver License Service Centers:
- Key Largo: 101487 Overseas Highway; 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Mondays through Fridays
- Key West: 3439 South Roosevelt Blvd.; 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Monday through Fridays
- Key West: 1200 Truman Avenue, Suite 101; 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Fridays
- Plantation Key: 88800 Overseas Highway; 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Mondays through Fridays
- Marathon: 3101 Overseas Highway (Tax Collectors Office); 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., Monday through Fridays
You can mail proof of Monroe County residency - Florida driver's license, utility bill, tax bill, etc. - to Tamara Snider, Monroe County Sheriff's Office Headquarters, 5525 College Road, Key West, FL 33040. Include your return address and contact information, in case of questions. The appropriate colored re-entry sticker will be mailed to you.
The Monroe County Placard Re-entry Program is available to agencies with representation at the Emergency Operations Center (EOC). These agencies can obtain early re-entry placards for their employees from Monroe County Emergency Management.
Businesses or organizations willing to provide services essential to the recovery of the Florida Keys may apply for inclusion through the Business Placard Re-entry Program. The placard program enrollment period ended May 1. If you have questions about this program, email firstname.lastname@example.org
REMINDER: ALL PLACARD PROGRAM APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2019 HURRICANE SEASON MUST BE RECEIVED BY MAY 1.
Individuals who go through Monroe County’s Community Emergency Response Training (CERT) and become part of the volunteer Monroe Emergency Reserve Corps also can obtain early re-entry placards.
For more information about this volunteer program, visit Monroe Emergency Reserve Corps.
When a storm is destructive to the Keys, re-entry after evacuations must be done in an orderly, staged manner when it is safe and there are enough services for people to return. For information about re-entry procedures, click email@example.com