Reentry Vehicle Windshield Stickers
Monroe County is working on a new Reentry Vehicle Windshield Stickers plan. A new plan will be announced when completed. In the meantime, if there is a storm, current vehicle reentry stickers will work, as well as proof of residency if phased reentry is implemented.
The Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1. Re-entry windshield stickers do not expire.
Residents can obtain one sticker for each registered vehicle by providing proof of residency: Florida driver’s license, utility bill, rental agreement, tax bill, etc. These same documents will allow residents through a checkpoint. The stickers are color-coded for possible zone-by-zone reentry.
- Yellow for Upper Keys (County line, including Ocean Reef, to the north end of Long Key Bridge) MM 113 to MM 64
- Blue for Middle Keys (south end of Long Key Bridge to north end of 7 Mile Bridge) MM 64 to MM 47
- Red for Lower Keys (south end of 7 Mile Bridge to Stock Island) MM 40 to MM 4
- White for City of Key West
If a storm devastates a particular area of the Florida Keys, the color-coded re-entry stickers will allow law enforcement to authorize people to return to relatively intact areas of the Florida Keys sooner than those who live in more damaged areas.
Several factors are considered in the re-entry process, including if emergency personnel, supplies, and equipment have been brought in and set up, if rescue crews have had enough time to assist any trapped or injured people in the affected area and, most importantly, if it is safe for residents to re-enter a particular area.
Where to Get Reentry Stickers
- Residents in Key West: Stickers are available at Key West City Hall, 1300 White St., or the Key West Police Department, 1604 North Roosevelt Blvd. The hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.
- Residents from Ocean Reef to Stock Island: Stickers are available at the Monroe County Sheriff’s substations or at the Department of Motor Vehicle/Driver License service centers listed below. Monroe County residents who are not currently in the County also can get them via mail, see details below. For residents who live in Ocean Reef, stickers are available at Ocean Reef Public Safety, 110 Anchor Dr. in Key Largo.
Monroe County Sheriff’s Office locations
The Sheriff’s stations are open from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Fridays for sticker pickup.
- Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Headquarters: 5525 College Road, Key West, FL 33040; 305-292-7000
- Freeman Substation, Lower Keys Area, District 1; 20950 Overseas Highway, Cudjoe Key, FL 33042; 305-745-3184
- Marathon Substation, Middle Keys Area, District’s 4 and 5; 3103 Overseas Highway; Marathon, FL 33050; 305-289-2430
- Islamorada, District 6; 86800 Overseas Highway, First Floor; Islamorada, FL 33036; 305-664-6480
- Roth Building, Upper Keys, District 7; 50 High Point Road, Suite 100; Tavernier, FL 33070; 305-853-3211
Department of Motor Vehicle and/or Driver’s License Service Centers
- Key Largo: 101487 Overseas Highway; 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Mondays through Fridays
- Key West: 3439 South Roosevelt Blvd.; 8 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Monday through Fridays
- Key West: 1200 Truman Avenue, Suite 101; 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Fridays
- Plantation Key: 88800 Overseas Highway; 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Mondays through Fridays
- Marathon: 3101 Overseas Highway (Tax Collectors Office); 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., Monday through Fridays
Residents may mail proof of Monroe County residency - Florida driver’s license, utility bill, tax bill - and a self-addressed and stamped envelope to
- Tamara Snider
- Monroe County Sheriff’s Office Headquarters
- 5525 College Road
- Key West, FL 33040
A self-addressed and stamped envelope must be included to receive your re-entry sticker by mail and you much include your contact information, in case there are any questions regarding your documentation. The appropriate colored re-entry sticker will be mailed to you.
Placard Reentry Program
The Monroe County Placard Re-entry Program is available to agencies with representation at the Emergency Operations Center (EOC). These agencies can obtain early re-entry placards for their employees from Monroe County Emergency Management.
Businesses or organizations willing to provide services essential to the recovery of the Florida Keys may apply for inclusion through the Business Placard Reentry Program. The placard program enrollment period ends May 31. If you have questions about this program, email email@example.com
THE PLACARD PROGRAM APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2020 HURRICANE SEASON CLOSED ON MAY 31, 2020.
Monroe County Emergency Reserves Corp (MERC)
Individuals who go through Monroe County’s Community Emergency Response Training (CERT) and become part of the volunteer Monroe Emergency Reserve Corps also can obtain early re-entry placards.
Reentry After A Hurricane
When a storm is destructive to the Keys, reentry after evacuations must be done in an orderly, staged manner when it is safe and there are enough services for people to return.